GAMERANGER MULTIPLAYER SERVICE CELEBRATES 10 YEARS OF ONLINE GAMING
Perth, Western Australia -- July 10, 2009 -- On Sunday July 12, GameRanger, the multiplayer matchmaking service for PC and Mac, will celebrate its 10th birthday. GameRanger would like to invite everyone to join in, bring their friends, and play online with some of their favourite games this Sunday.
GameRanger launched in 1999 providing matchmaking support for 11 Mac games, and today supports 542 PC games and 181 Mac games. At a decade and going strong, GameRanger has lasted longer than all other gaming services.
"I'm excited to reach such a milestone, and hope to see a ton of people join us online on Sunday," said Scott Kevill, president of GameRanger Technologies. "Let's set some new records and try to make the servers sweat!"
GameRanger is available as a free download from <https://www.GameRanger.com>
Trivia: The most consistently played game through each and every year of the last decade was Age of Empires II. Thousands of gamers continue to play it even today.
Trivia: Back in 1999, 70% of users played online using dial-up modems. Their typical gaming computer had 128MB of RAM and an 8GB hard disk.
Lifetimes of Other Related Services:
- ImagiNation Network: 1991-1998
- DWANGO: 1994-1998
- Kali: 1995-2005 (on life-support)
- TEN: 1996-1999
- MPlayer: 1996-2000
- HEAT.NET: 1996-2000
- WON.net: 1998-2004
- Zone.com: 1997-2006
- GameSpy Arcade: 2000 onwards (no longer updated as of 2006)
- Xbox Live: 2002 onwards (Xbox Live 360: 2005 onwards)
- Xfire: 2003 onwards
- Steam: 2003 onwards (Steam Community: 2007 onwards)
- Games for Windows Live: 2007 onwards
- Battle.net is really just a collective term for multiple separate game services only supporting individual Blizzard games. The earlier services have not been updated with features of later services.
GameRanger is the longest running multiplayer online gaming service, having originally opened to Mac gaming in 1999. In November 2008, GameRanger expanded to PC gaming with full lobby support for over 500 games -- significantly more than any other multiplayer service -- and is rapidly becoming the preferred choice of gamers for playing their friends online. GameRanger Technologies is located in Perth, Western Australia.
# # #